Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Philadelphia Rock and Roll Half Marathon-Sunday, 9/16

I made my yearly (ok, it is only the second year) trip to Philly for the Rock and Roll half marathon.
I started last year to challenge myself to run farther and faster.
Training this year was a little easier because I was on the road so much, all I did was work, sleep and run.
I convinced my dearest wife to come and meet me in Philly (honey, we can have a weekend to ourselves ;-) ). She was a saint, putting up with me pretty much sleeping all weekend when I wasn't running.
I drove down from CT and picked Jennifer up at the airport.
We had a wonderful lunch on Friday at the Valley Green Inn in Wissahickon Park. From there we went to the packet pick up. My wife the social butterfly talked to more people at all the booths than I did. We also got some cool hydration belts. I know you shouldn't try anything new for the race, but my current set wasn't getting it.
We had parked at the Reading Market. I was born and raised in Philadelpha and lived in or near Philadelphia for 30 of my 45 years and I have never been to the Reading Market. Probably a good thing given my love affair with food. Even though I was on a strict runners diet (I made that up), I had to sample the roast pork sandwich. (Protein and Carbs, just keep telling yourself that). Then it was off to see mom and Trinket.
Saturday, we pretty much hung out and relaxed and then met our college friends for a mini-reunion.
On Sunday, Jennifer and I woke up early and headed downtown. We found great parking and made our way to the starting point.
Jennifer decided to go to the art museum while I ran. You know you are a slow runner when someone can tour a museum while you are running.
Since I knew what to expect, I guess I was less nervous this year. Off we go with Jennifer cheering me at the start.
Last year it seemed like the first few miles went really quick. Maybe they did because of course I went out too fast. This year, on the run down Market street, it seemed forever till we hit the turn around point. Then right before mile 3, disaster, had to make a pit stop. There goes the world record!
Anyway, once I got going again, this is the critical part of the race. Mile 4 is back on the parkway approaching mile 5 and the art museum for the 2nd time. Fire up the Rocky music and grunt up the hill (okay, it's a small hill, but there is one).
Once you pass the Art Museum (and see the running gods finishing), it is time to blast the river drives. Flat and straight. For me, miles 6, 7 and 8 are the hump. In Philly, once you hit the mile 9 marker, you are at the turn around point at the Falls Bridge. Grab some GU and gut it out.
I actually felt like I was picking up speed and the last few miles flew by.
One of the things that irked me this year was the number of bikes on the course. The last thing I need at mile 12.5 is to try and dodge some idiot on a bike. The crowd was awesome at this point, and their was my gal waiting for me as I sprinted (okay, that is an exaggeration) across the finish lline. Brad Michaels was still on stage when I crossed the line (damn, if I had run a little slower I would have missed him).
Thanks to Jennifer for supporting me through this.
Amazingly, I knocked off 13:35 off my time (3:11:19) from last year, a mile a minute faster!
Keys to training this year-run with someone, the miles cruise by!
Lessons learned-strengthen the core and run sooner afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment