Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crowders Mountain Carolina Orienteering Club-Saturday, 10/1

The new orienteering season is finally here!
Jennifer, Joey, Darwin and I made the trek to Crowders Mountain for the first meet of the year.
Jennifer and Darwin ran the White course, Joey ran Yellow and I ran Green.
I thought my course was pretty easy (here start the excuses), but my resistance was down after the Philly half marathon.
Anyway, started out pretty good. Point 1 was 400 meters away, no problem, easy find. Point 2 was 800 meters away, up the trial, along the creek. Point 3 was also easy to find, but the climb up Crowders Mountain was on. Over the ridge and down into a stream to point 4. I love the look of all the hikers when you come scaling up the side of Crowders Mountain. They look at you like "theres a trail here you idiot". I agree!
Now is when the fun begins. They did a whole bunch of work on the trails. I could not find point 5. I searched for 25 min and ran into another team looking for it as well. I eventually gave up. Skipped to 6 and 7 which were easy finds. When I went to 8, again, ended up lost. Decided today was not may day and packed it in for the finish.
Jennifer and Darwin finished 9th out of 15, Joey was first out of 36. Way to go Joe!!! Time to move up to Orange. I was one of 14 teams that did not finish on Green. It always says something ot me that when that many teams don't finish (especially when I am one of them!), the course was too hard.
I will have to make it up in November!!!!
Here is the link:

No comments:

Post a Comment