Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Morrow Mountain Orienteering-4/2/2011

Scan of Map and my estimated track


Track from the GPS


Jennifer, Joey, Darwin and I headed into the wilds of the Uhwarrie for this weekend's meet.

Jennifer, Joey and Darwin did the white course, while I volunteered to pick up controls and run Red.

Great day for running in the woods.

From the start to point one was 150 meters, good way to start. Point 2 was an easy find. Point 3 started the fun off with a foray into the foot of Sugarloaf Mountain. Instead of going up and over to 4, I contoured around to the flag. Then I was off on a 1200 meter jaunt to point 5. I was way left as usual. Off to point 6 which was easy to find due to the howling boy scout standing at point 6. 7 was another easy find. I used an attack point off the trail for 8, but now it was getting steep.

Some great views of the lake, but I had to detour around a cliff to get to point 9. Point 10 was the last real steep climb, but I again opted to go around vs. over the hill. Then down the trail to a creek to scoop up 11 and finished up on the trail getting to 12. Jennifer and Joey also had 12 on their course. It was in a pit and a little hard to find from the trail. Then it was off to the finish for 2 hours 21 minutes for 7.7K. I am slowing down.

Everyone had worked up an appetite, so we stopped at the Fresh House.

We stopped here last year as well, funny how we are establishing routines! All home cooked food, an old country store and home made treats for dessert.

Results

No comments:

Post a Comment